Monday, April 19, 2010

Belt Gear Issues





I had a hell of a time getting the belt gears onto the 1/4 inch shaft. I had to sand down each end of the drive shaft to even get the gears to begin to go on. After alot of frustration I managed to get them seated but not without some damage. How this effects performance has yet to be seen. New gars have been ordered.

In order to push the gears along the drive shaft a mallet was used along with some of the 1/4 bolt nuts. Nuts were placed on top of the gear and hit with a mallet thereby pushing the gear down the drive shaft. Sorry I don't have a picture of this.

I made some mistakes in construction and the gears had to come off twice. After fighting with them for hours finally someone had the idea of using a gear puller to remove them from the drive shaft, which eventually worked.

In hindsight I should have sanded down the interior wall of the gears so that they would fit better. All the pounding damaged them and thus they will have to be replaced. The replacement gears will be sanded down.

No comments:

Post a Comment